The mission of the California Native Garden Foundation (CNGF) is to demonstrate the beauty, garden worthiness, and ecological appropriateness of California native gardens and to advance knowledge of native plants and increase their availability.Through the School Garden Design Grant Program, CNGF offers grants for gardens that feature California native plants, including edible plants, ornamental horticulture or both. Along with professional design services, grant recipients will receive assistance with creation of a garden installation and maintenance time line and budget.Types of support include garden design services, in-kind donations of plants and landscape materials, volunteer assistance, and direct financial assistance. A typical grant cycle is about 5 months.Grant amounts are limited to $1,000 for in-kind assistance, $500 in direct cash assistance, and $5,000 for design services.Grant applications are reviewed and grants are awarded by the CNGF board.What to Consider Before Applying
- Do you have lesson plans that can be taught in the garden?
- How will the garden be used?
- Who will use the garden? Which grades?
- How many teachers have expressed an interest in having the garden as an outdoor classroom?
- Would you like the students to participate in an art project?
- Will it be used after school hours? By whom?